Light, letter, and sound
Hello there! I’m Cole — a designer, photographer, writer, and sound artist. I was born and raised in Canada, but am currently based in London, England, where I live with my beautiful wife.
You’ll find a directory of links to my work below.
- Stories, told with Exposure
- An ongoing series of photo-essays resides over at my little home on Exposure — including this one, on how I first fell in love with, abandoned, and rediscovered photography. I try to add new stories at least once every month.
- VSCO Grid
- You’ll find my most recently-published photographs on my VSCO Grid, along with an archive of images taken with my iPhone over the past couple years. New images are added on a weekly basis (sometimes more often).
- You’ll also find my work on Instagram and Flickr, if those are where you prefer to hang out.
- My blog
- I’ve been posting articles to my blog since 2012, with most of the work centring around the themes of the creative process (often specific to design), culture, and technology. You’ll also find a mix of personal entries, in addition to freewheeling thoughts on politics, literature, and writing itself.
- Published writing
- I’ve been very fortunate to have some of my writing published in print by Offscreen magazine, and digitally by Adbusters. You’ll also find a bite-sized opinion piece on Design Week’s VoxPop.
- You’ll find a select few of my current and previous releases available for listening and purchasing on BandCamp.
- In brief…
- During the day, I design and code interfaces for a health startup in London. Previously, I designed interfaces for a London-based mobile app agency. Before moving to London, I co-founded a graphic and web design practice in Canada.
- First Things First 2014
- In 1964, a designer named Ken Garland published what I consider to be one of the most important historical documents in design: the First Things First manifesto. 50 years later, I took the initiative to renew it — and to open it up to the design and communications community at large. You can read more about the project on Eye magazine, Creative Bloq, Design Week, the International Council of Design, Fast Co.Exist, and Monographica (in Spanish). You can also watch a related talk I gave at the Ind.ie Tech Summit in 2014.
- Public code
That’s all for now, folks. Thanks for stopping by.